Equality and Diversity
Equality and Diversity is paramount to us at Vernon Community College and we’re committed to providing an environment free from discrimination, bullying, harassment or victimisation, where all members of our community are treated with respect and dignity.
Equality means everyone having a fair chance. Diversity means respecting people’s differences. We aim to create a culture of equality & diversity within our community, providing a dynamic working and learning environment, where all members are valued for their contribution and individuality.
Vernon Community College is committed to working in an inclusive way with all the communities in which we are geographically located and to developing a workforce and student community that reflects Nottinghamshire’s diversity and vibrancy.
Vernon Community College is committed to providing and promoting a positive environment for all its students, staff and members of its community which is free from all forms of prejudice, discrimination, harassment and bullying.
What is harassment?
Harassment is unwanted conduct that violates a person’s dignity or creates an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment.
Harassment and bullying include behaviour that is offensive, frightening or in any way distressing. They may be characterised as offensive, intimidating, malicious or insulting behaviour, an abuse or misuse of power through means that undermine, humiliate, denigrate or injure the recipient.
Examples of bullying and harassment may include:
- Embarrassing, abusive or insulting words or behaviour, jokes or innuendo (particularly on the grounds of age, race, sex, disability, sexual orientation and religion or belief)
- Unwelcome remarks about clothes or appearance
- Unwanted physical contact
- Aggressive behaviour, physical or verbal
- Persistently demeaning or ridiculing someone
- Inappropriate and derogatory remarks
- Overbearing supervision or other misuse of power or position.
Policies and data
View the College’s Single Equality Scheme
View the College’s Staffing Equality information
View student equality and diversity data